The building was erected in 1903 and served as the University’s first athletics gymnasium. From 1937 into the 1970s, it was used primarily as a hall for fencing. Later it became part of the Institute for Ancient and Early Modern History. Today, the Alte Fechthalle is home to Göttingen’s "art la danse" ballet school. The building, which stands under a preservation order, has a floor space of 550 square metres and its interior has been extensively refurbished by ballet specialist educator Judith Kara. The renovation of the exterior was carried out by the University of Göttingen, so that the building now stands in its new, and old, glory. The hall alone, bathed in natural light, is 300 sq. m. large and has a ceiling height of more than six metres, as well as a gallery.
Geiststraße 6, 37073 Göttingen
Bus routes: 31, 32, 41, 42, 50, 62, 71, 72, 80 Bus stop ‘Groner Tor’
Covered car park Groner-Tor-Straße (Groner-Tor-Straße 31), open all day, 1 minute walk
There is on-street parking in Goethe-Allee and in Geiststraße