Altes Rathaus / Marktplatz
The ‘Altes Rathaus’ – Old Town Hall – is the most prominent building on the central square in Göttingen’s town centre, the ‘Markt’. Over the course of the centuries, the building, which originally dates from 1270, has been subjected to all manner of renovations and conversions. The building has a colourful history: it has served councillors and merchants guilds as a meeting place, but has also been used variously as a dance hall, wine cellar, prison, warehouse and archive. Until 1978 it was the official seat of the Göttingen town council and administration, before these moved into a new building on Hiroshimaplatz.
In the history-rich wood-panelled hall, the wall paintings by Hanoverian historical painter Hermann Schaper are particularly noteworthy. A frieze of town crests indicates Göttingen’s former membership in the group of Hanse towns, while other images represent the town’s history as well as virtues such as charity, justice, wisdom, piousness and love of the fatherland.
Marktplatz, 37073 Göttingen
All bus routes: Bus stop ‘Markt’
Covered car park Groner-Tor-Straße (Groner-Tor-Straße 31): Open all day, 6 minutes’ walk; covered car park Carré (Weender Straße 75, entrance via Reitstallstraße), opening hours: Mon - Sat 6 am - 10 pm, closed on Sundays, 6 minutes’ walk; covered car park Hospitalstraße (Hospitalstraße 8): Open all day, 5 minutes’ walk