The gothic St. Marien church houses a double winged altar by Bartold Kastrop and Heinrich Heisen dating from the late gothic period (1524). It depicts various scenes from the life of Mary. In addition to this notable altar, a further valuable work of art was installed in the church’s interior in 1926 – the Mahrenholz-Furtwängler organ. This testifies significantly to the art of organ building in the romantic period and was fully renovated in 2003. It continues to be regarded as an important item in Göttingen’s organ building movement during the post-war period. In terms of sound, this movement of organ builders took old instruments as their point of reference and considered liturgical performance practice.
Neustadt 21, 37073 Göttingen
Bus routes 31, 32, 41, 42, 50, 62, 71, 72, 80 Bus stop ‘Groner Tor’
Bus routes 31, 32, 41, 42, 50, 62, 71, 72, 80 Bust stop ‘Groner Tor / Hirtenbrunnen’
Covered car park Groner Tor (Groner-Tor-Straße 31), open all day, 2 minutes’ walk
Photo: Exterior view / public domain.